Health Canada’s Residential Indoor Air Quality Guidelines describe mould in residential buildings as a health hazard that should be removed. If water leakage or damage is the cause, then it too should be remediated. Health risks depend on the type of mould and the level of exposure. For asthma symptoms, it will depend on allergic sensitization. Mould is hazardous and cannot be treated simply with disinfectants or chemicals. It must be completely removed. Non-viable spores contain toxins so the risk still remains until the affected area is cleaned effectively.

THE BAD NEWS: Mould loves basements!

 

Your basement is likely to be the most probable spot for a mild infestation. There are several reasons:

  • A foundation leak is creating a moist environment to nurture mould
  • Not enough insulation results in cool temperatures and condensation
  • Lack of ventilation
  • Pipe leak or slow leak (dripping) creating more moisture
  • Over storage—stored objects create more surfaces for condensation and mould spores to inhabit

Mould removal work should be completed by experienced and licensed professionals with a proven track record in mould remediation. Kleen Condition has just that. The removal of mould can be a dangerous process increasing the risk from mould spores significantly. Organic Dust Toxic Syndrome (ODTS) is a flu-like condition which can appear 4-6 hours after high exposure from demolition, remediation or construction work.

Kleen Condition knows exactly how to deal with basement mould quickly and safely.

Website by Sanatan